01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

A few issues with Hikvision DS-2CD2383G0-I

HikUp

Evening all.

I've lurked the forums quite a while now and recently installed my first Hikvision IP camera. I have to say the experience has been bitter/ sweet.

Firstly the picture is fantastic in 4k with highest settings. I am recording to a 128Gb SD card at the moment while I get familiar with the mobile apps and configuration etc.

I have been accessing the web GUI of the camera to alter settings and set up analytics which at first seemed pretty straight forward.

I have hik connect up and running and by the way the app is absolutely awful to use. It may be down to my inexperience but something strange happens.

When I access the camera's live view remotely using the hik connect app, for some reason it alters the settings of the camera. I set the resolution at 3840*2160 but after remote viewing it changes the camera resolution to 1280*720p. It also wipes my line crossing smart event off and I have to redraw the area and re-enter the correct settings.

Also the app constantly logs it's self out and everytime I open it I have to log back in to view my remote stream through the Hik-Connect service. Therefore I'm not receiving push notifications by default for things like a line crossing event.

Lastly in the storage management, it splits video and picture capacity 75-25%. Meaning that's almost 30gb for pictures? Is that not on the high end?

As I say, this is my first camera and everything is pretty much trial and error at this point.

The camera has a WR serial so isn't a Chinese import.

Anyone able to offer any insight into the above?

Hi HikUp,

Haven’t used HikConnect as I use iVMS4500 (as I use a vpn) but have you setup an operator/user account for using for remote viewing. As it is possible if you are running it as admin that the camera is getting the change requests from your app.

You could try using the iVMS 4500 as it allows hik-connect service. To see if it stops signing you out.

Events can send emails too so it can be a workaround.

As for the storage management you should be able to change the quota.

A friendly reminder to ensure you don’t use simple passwords when exposing your IP camera to the internet and to always update the firmware when available.

Hi HikUp - love the user name!

Obviously that's not normal behaviour from the Hik-Connect App.

Your camera model is very new - I've not had my hands on that series yet!

Are you running the latest firmware (V5.5.51)?
DOWNLOAD PORTAL

BTW - Have you entered the correct model code in the thread title?
The 2343 is a 4MP camera model (not 4K, which is 8MP)
Therefore, I would not expect the 3840 x 2160 resolution option to be visisble/selectable with a 4MP model

HikVision's product page here:
DS-2CD2343G0-I - Hikvision UK & Ireland

Thanks for the reply. Its seems to be working with iVMS. After doing some searching it seems it was the hik-connect app changing the settings and there's a few posts online about it.

I ended up setting up a new email address and then using the gmailbot in telegram to handle push notifications. Works well.

Phil, you are right the model number is actually DS-2CD2383G0-I. :)

Last edited:
I've edited the model number in the thread title.

For general interest please, have you noticed whether you can view Live Video OK in various browsers? e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Edge

I'm pretty sure that I came across something that mentioned that this HikVision camera series would be the first to resolve the issue of needing to use a browser with NPAPI e.g. Internet Explore (or Chrome with IEtab).

I think I saw firmware beyond the currently available .51 for the G1 series mentioned.

What firmware is your camera using please?

It didn't natively support live video using Chrome or Safari when I tried unfortunately. Message about a plug in being required.

I'd have to check the firmware later as I'm not on my LAN at the moment but when in the settings page I clicked on the update firmware button and it told me the firmware was up to date.

Thanks for confirming that.

I'd have to check the firmware later as I'm not on my LAN at the moment but when in the settings page I clicked on the update firmware button and it told me the firmware was up to date.

Unfortunately, this message has not been reliable in the past.

It's best to check the portal.

Back