01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

32 Cameras with only 16 port NVR?

JSAR

I have a DS-7732NI-I4/16P Hikvision NVR. 16 POE ports in the back for cameras. I have 32 cameras that I need to connect to this NVR. Where do I get the additional 16 ports I need from? A POE switch?

Solution
Hi @JSAR

If you have a 7732 32-channel NVR with 16 built-in PoE ports then yes the only way to connect the additional 16 cameras would be to use a separate PoE switch connected to the same local network as the NVR.
You need another 16 channel NVR. You can't connect 32 cameras to a 16 channel NVR. It's 16 channels - so 16 cameras.

Upvote 0
Hi @JSAR

If you have a 7732 32-channel NVR with 16 built-in PoE ports then yes the only way to connect the additional 16 cameras would be to use a separate PoE switch connected to the same local network as the NVR.

Upvote 0
Solution
Apologies - I thought the model number quoted was a 16 channel only - can see that although it has the 16 in the model number, it does in fact have 32 available channels - and yes as above - a POE switch will be just the answer.

Reactions: Dan
Upvote 0
Hi Dan (and everyone else),
can you please confirm that I have understood correctly?
If I have a 32 channels Hikvision NVR (like the iDS-7732NXI-I4/16P/X) that has 16 poe ports and ONE LAN port,
the only way to connect all the cameras is to:
1 - Connect the first 16 cameras to the PoE ports at the back of the NVR
2 - Connect the remaining 16 cameras to a PoE switch
3 - Plug the uplink port of the switch to the LAN port of the NVR (not to one of the PoE ports)
*Each camera plugged to the PoE switch will have to be manually added and manually assigned an IP address

So far, this is the most common suggestion I found on the internet; however, I have the following doubts:
A - in this setup half of the cameras will reside on one network (192.168.254.0/24) and haf to a different network segment (192.168.1.0/24 for example) ?
B - the 16 cameras connected to the 192.168.1.0/24 network will have internet access; this is a security concern as CCTV cameras should be isolated
I am pretty sure that the above setup is not correct. In my view the PoE switch should be connected to one of the NVR's PoE ports and all the cameras should reside on the same network segment.
I have attached a diagram for clarity. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Emanuele
London

Attachments

• tudorC_cctv.png
    tudorC_cctv.png
    206.2 KB · Views: 1,175
Upvote 0
@mannis79

A) Yes, that's right. If you don't want the cameras split I think your only choice would be to connect ALL cameras to one or more PoE switches.

B) Yes, you are correct, although some camera functions may rely on internet access, e.g. Network Time Protocol (NTP) to do time sync/daylight savings etc, and some cameras do their own alerting or uploading of captured images. e.g. I have ANPR cameras which do FTP upload of images and I have not found a way to have that work if they are directly connected to the NVR. So what you require may depend on what cameras you have and what functions of those cameras you will be using. If you have a decent router with blocking/firewall features you should be able to setup rules to only allow the traffic you require?

Upvote 0
I have amended the diagram above for more clarity. I still can't believe this is what Hikvision support (although there is NO official documentation about this).
From a network/security prospective it doesn't make any sense. Of course with a good firewall (like codlord said) you can get around the security concerns...
I will update this post once I go back on site and change the layout. Thanks everyone and thanks Dan from USE-IP for the telephone support.

Attachments

• tudorc.jpg
    tudorc.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 649
Reactions: Dan
Upvote 0
Back