01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Cheap, but are Hikvision cameras worth it?

Tomdhu

I have looked after the CCTV system at work for 5 years and consider myself to be a fairly competent operator. The system comprises 5 Hikvision and 3 Vivotek cameras connected to a Vivotek 8 channel NVR. We started out with Vivoteks but moved over to Hiks for cost reasons. The Hiks have worked well on this NVR after adjusting the settings for onvif etc. We decided to relocate one DS-2CD2646G2-IZS which is only 2 years old. Prior to this it had been working perfectly.

After the move we found that reconnected it and deleted the old settings for area intrusion and line crossing. After changing the detection area and lines crossing I found that it would not record any intrusions or line crossings. This is a summary of the subsequent attempted fixes.

1. Did a full reset (except for the IP address) - no benefit
2. Updated firmware to latest version. No benefit.
3. Set it to record continuously - which it did successfully.
4. Set it to record when triggered by an event on another camera - which it did successfully.
5. Set it to record when intrusion made in one area only - failed.
6. Set it to record when only one line was being crossed.
7. Have carried our numerous reboots of camera and NVR at various stages.
8. Have used both iVMS-4200 and SADP to check settings

Understandably I am loath to buy any more Hiks unless someone can suggest a remedy to the problem

Hi @Tomdhu

You said you decided to "relocate one DS-2CD2646G2-IZS", can you please explain in more detail the process of relocating the camera?

Was the camera originally connected directly to the Vivotek NVR or a PoE Injector/Switch? Was the camera still connected the same way when you relocated it?

What Vivotek NVR model do you have and what firmware version is that currently running?

What firmware version is the 2646G2 camera currently running?

Hi Dan,
Thanks for responding.

We planned to relocate the DS-2CD2646G2-IZS after deleting and disconnecting it from the Vivotek ND96322P-v2 NVR. This is current/w 3.3.0.104 with device pack V5.9.480.
Whilst it was detached, we hooked it up to a Hikvision NVR model DS-7604NI-K1/4P as we are looking to expand the number of cameras and also evaluate the Hik NVR's user interface.

We soon learned that the Hik allocated a new (POE channel) IP address in the subnet 192.168.254.2. This was seen as a hassle as our Vivotek NVR and all the cameras are on the subnet 192.168.0.xxx.

So the decision was to put the DS-2CD2646G2-IZS camera back on the Vivotek NVR. I reinstated its original IP address which was 192.168.0.63 using iVMS-4200. Reconnected to the NVR and created new intrusion areas and lines for the new physical location. That's when we found it wasn't responding to intrusions or line crossings. We then did a soft reset whilst keeping the IP of 192.168.0.63. The camera is at V5.7.18 build 240826.

I am prepared to do a full factory reset followed by an up date but first I plan to install an SD card so that I can access the log reports.

Thanks @Tomdhu

So when you've had the Hikvision camera linked to the Vivotek NVR, has it always been directly connected to the NVR's PoE ports?

Did you change any other settings on the Hikvision camera or update its firmware while it was disconnected from the Vivotek NVR?

Yes the Hik camera was connected to the POE port for the last 3 years before being deleted and disconnected.

No updates were carried out on the camera whilst disconnected. The soft reset and updates were carried out when it was found there was a issue with the intrusion/ line crossing triggers not initiating recordin.gs.
I have just installed a micro SD card and had a walk-thro the area/lines and nothing appeared on the logs.

Hmm that is strange,

I can't remember ever seeing a Hikvision camera behave differently like this when no settings have been changed.

I can only think that changing the IP address might have defaulted/reset some settings on the camera, maybe something to test would be to connect the Hikvision camera to a separate PoE Injector/Switch, add the camera to the NVR as a remote camera using its local IP address, and then see if the intrusion/line crossing starts working again.

If it doesn't, maybe try checking the ONVIF settings in the camera.

Back