01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Western Digital Purple HD - Bad Sectors Cannot Format

newbie2468

Hi, I have a Western Digital Purple HD 6TB (WD60PURX) that is not writing to the hard drive anymore (NVR woke me up with the alarm bleeps), i have established that the hard drive was at fault by running the usual checks through the Hikvision software and the good guys at 'USE-IP' got a replacement HD in the post to me next day which i was able to fit and the system is up and running again.

My question is: Can the old hard drive be repaired via software or whatever without costing much money? Before it was removed from the NVR it wouldn't format due to 'too many bad sectors'. It seems a shame to just bin it when if it was repairable i could then install it inside the NVR as a secondary HD.
By the way it is outside the guarantee period.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi @newbie2468

I've googled 'How to repair HDD bad sectors' and there are many results explaining ways to remove/skip these bad sectors but I don't think it will be possible to fully fix the HDD (e.g. have access to the full storage capacity of the HDD and use it in an NVR).

Also, as you will see from this website explainer, sometimes bad sectors can be caused by a physical fault within HDD and thus not so easily repaired (you probably could find a data storage expert to repair a physical fault, but would probably cost you more than a new HDD).

Back