01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Several Odd Questions about my Hikvision System

mattyc491

Hello All,

New to IP/NVR cctv. Previously used consumer based WiFi cameras.

My current systems includes: 1 x DS-7604NXI-K1/4P (Firmware: v4.74.000 build 230213) with 3tb Seagate Ironwolf HDD and 4 x DS-2CD2387G2-LU (Firmware: v5.7.3 build 220112).

I have several weird and wonderful questions about my systems setup which I hope someone could help me with.

Q1. In the Hik-Connect app whenever I get a notification and click playback, I've noticed that all videos are 2 minutes and 10 seconds in length. After looking at both the NVR and Camera settings the Pre record is set to 5 seconds which appears to be working and Post record set to 30 seconds (Would like it to be lower but minimum is 30). Is there a reason the videos are so long when all of the event has ended after 30 seconds? Is there a way to change this?

Q2. When playing back some videos, I've noticed that sometimes it will stutter/lag. What I mean is the pre-record takes place, then the event but the video freezes after maybe 10 seconds before resuming with the counter in the top left having moved on say 7 seconds in length. My cameras are setup to 15FPS Medium with varying bit rates which I didn't actually set. Any easy way to fix this issue?

Q3. All of my lights have supplemental lighting, is there a way to turn the light on when an event is triggered? Specifically I'd like it to trigger the light when an event is captured between set times (No point triggering the light in broad daylight!). I've checked both the NVR and Cameras but there is no option in the Linkage Settings to trigger the supplemental lighting.

Q4. What is the recommended broadband speeds for a system like mine? It's currently installed in our loft and is receiving internet via powerline adaptor that's providing a download speed of 32Mbps and Upload speeds of 12Mbps. Is this sufficient or should I look into getting better speeds for the NVR?

Any help on any of the questions
Best Mattyc491

Hello All,

New to IP/NVR cctv. Previously used consumer based WiFi cameras.

My current systems includes: 1 x DS-7604NXI-K1/4P (Firmware: v4.74.000 build 230213) with 3tb Seagate Ironwolf HDD and 4 x DS-2CD2387G2-LU (Firmware: v5.7.3 build 220112).

I have several weird and wonderful questions about my systems setup which I hope someone could help me with.

Q1. In the Hik-Connect app whenever I get a notification and click playback, I've noticed that all videos are 2 minutes and 10 seconds in length. After looking at both the NVR and Camera settings the Pre record is set to 5 seconds which appears to be working and Post record set to 30 seconds (Would like it to be lower but minimum is 30). Is there a reason the videos are so long when all of the event has ended after 30 seconds? Is there a way to change this?

Q2. When playing back some videos, I've noticed that sometimes it will stutter/lag. What I mean is the pre-record takes place, then the event but the video freezes after maybe 10 seconds before resuming with the counter in the top left having moved on say 7 seconds in length. My cameras are setup to 15FPS Medium with varying bit rates which I didn't actually set. Any easy way to fix this issue?

Q3. All of my lights have supplemental lighting, is there a way to turn the light on when an event is triggered? Specifically I'd like it to trigger the light when an event is captured between set times (No point triggering the light in broad daylight!). I've checked both the NVR and Cameras but there is no option in the Linkage Settings to trigger the supplemental lighting.

Q4. What is the recommended broadband speeds for a system like mine? It's currently installed in our loft and is receiving internet via powerline adaptor that's providing a download speed of 32Mbps and Upload speeds of 12Mbps. Is this sufficient or should I look into getting better speeds for the NVR?

Any help on any of the questions
Best Mattyc491
Q1 - That cannot be changed, it's just the way the clip is uploaded to the cloud server. Just watch the first bit...

Q2 - Could be numerous things - Main Stream (event) not matching Main Stream (normal), bit rates set that aren't suitable for the resolution, FPS, codec or just a streaming issue between your device and Hik-Connect (the video is on the Hik-Connect server). I noticed the latest firmware for your model has a 'low bitrate mode' in the Hik-Connect setup screen (though I haven't found any additional info regarding that setting). It could also be the power line adaptors. The speed test is just a short burst and it's possible that it's not stable or has high latency at times.

Q3 - Yes. Depending on firmware version (not sure if it's present on 5.7.3) the cameras have the option to trigger the LED light on event. I'm not a fan of the option myself as you'll have poor images when there is no motion if the light is needed. The setting can only be activated in the camera menu itself, not from the NVR. It's in Event settings > Linkage Method > 'White Light'. Your camera firmware is out of date on 5.7.3 - the latest version is 5.7.12_230131. That latest version is available on the product page for your camera on the Hikvision UK website DS-2CD2387G2-L(U)

Q4 - The speeds quoted are fine so long as the connection is stable. The best connection is always going to be hard wired. It's possible to have a far lower setting than that. Using the Hik-Connect app you will usually be viewing in Standard not HD and that uses the sub stream settings.

What you could do is look at the logs in the NVR. Go to the maintenance menu on your NVR or log into it with a web browser at its IP address, then go to Configuration > System > Maintenance > Log. Filter the log to Major Type - Exception and using the Start Time and End Time set it to the last 7 days before clicking search. If you see a lot off "HikConnect Operation Abnormal' and 'CIVIL Offline Exception' events, it could indicate that the NVR is failing to maintain it's connection to the Hik-Connect server.

Back