01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Replacement HiKvision camera?

Teasy1980

Hi
I currently have a DS-2CD2385G1-I 4mm camera with a memory card installed.
It's connected to a PoE switch which we use throughout the home.
It's been very reliable for our court and I share the camera with neighbours via the app share option.
If I were to replace the camera, what HiKvision would you recommend?
I have cut the top from the image for privacy reasons.

CCTV front.jpg

Hi @Teasy1980

The direct replacement for the model you currently have would be the DS-2CD2386G2-IU 8MP AcuSense Turret

If you have ambient light illuminating the street (e.g. street lights, security lights on the properties, etc...) you could also consider the DS-2CD2387G2H-LIU 8MP Hybrid Light Turret which can achieve a colour image at night using either its built-in white light or the ambient light in the scene, this model also supports a 'Smart Light' mode where the camera can switch from B&W/IR image to colour/white light image based on smart event triggers.

That's great, thanks.
If I purchased the Hybrid light model and there wasn't enough illuminating light, would it be a worse picture than just using the direct replacement?

Yes, if the scene was too dark then the camera wouldn't capture a very clear colour image and you would likely get clearer and more detailed nighttime images using IR, the advantage of the Hybrid Light models is that they support both IR LEDs and white light LEDs so if the scene is too dark for the camera to operate in Colour mode you can just switch it to B&W/IR mode instead.

That's great, thanks.
If I purchased the Hybrid light model and there wasn't enough illuminating light, would it be a worse picture than just using the direct replacement?
The minimum low light specification for the hybrid camera is way better than the direct replacement. The Hybrid camera uses it's inbuilt light to illuminate a scene. It's a pretty powerful light. It's also has a larger lens aperture and larger sensor than the other camera. All pointing to the fact that it's a much better camera.

Yes, we would recommend sticking with the 4mm if you want similar coverage, see the comparison of the FoV of both 4mm models below:

2385G1 4mm --- horizontal FOV: 87.1°, vertical FOV: 47.4°, diagonal FOV: 101.8°
2387G2H 4mm --- horizontal FOV 93.3°, vertical FOV 47.2°, diagonal FOV 114.2°

Back