01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Motion detection - struggling with false alerts

Richard H

Hi,

I have a new 5MP turret camera which I'd like to get email alerts from for movement on my front drive. I've spent the last couple of weeks continually tweaking sensitivity and related adjustments but I'm struggling to get rid of (or even reduce to an acceptable level) false alerts. Could anyone help me with how best to approach this? I've activated motion detection, line crossing, intrusion and face detection. I've had no face detection alerts yet, but have had loads of false alerts for all three of the other types even though I seem to have the sensitivity quite low now. It feels like the camera can't cope with my gravel drive for some reason, showing patches of movement on it frequently where I can't see anything happening at all.

As you can see, I've gone for a pretty big area covered. I'm open to suggestions on adjusting this.

Here's an example of intrusion. The sensitivity was at 40 for this one, with the trigger time threshold set at 2s:
Intrusion_false_positive.png

Here's a line crossing. Sensitivity is at 50, as I believe this relates to percentage of object that has to cross, so I thought I should have it fairly high. The line is at a weird angle as I thought it would be logical to have the far end as high as possible due to the height of cars / people going past it. I realise it looks like it might just clip the road, but the alerts don't seem to relate to cars being behind the line at all:
line_cross_false_positive.png

Here's a couple of examples of motion detection. The sensitivity was at 5 I think for these ones:
motion1_false_positive.png

motion2_false_positive.png

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Apologies for the delay, I've been waiting for some recommendations from HikVision on how to tackle this:
(instructions below & image attached)

The recommendation is as below:

1. Reduce the sharpness to some extent.

2. Reduce the bitrate.

3. Go to the web page of camera, set the Min. size and Max. size properly to reduce the false alerts.

Attachments

• area settings 22-6-17.png
    area settings 22-6-17.png
    271.9 KB · Views: 1,627
Thanks for that. It feels like the sharpness and bitrate changes will be reducing the quality of my recordings?

I'll give it a go though. I've reduced the sharpness from the default 50 to 40. I've also reduced the Max Bitrate from the default 4092 to the next lower one in the dropdown - 3072. I'm not sure I can change ni and max sizes much. Because of the are the camera covers it has to be able to cope with a big range, from a person at the far end of the drive, to a van really close to the camera.

Unfortunately it's a bit harder to get a good feel for this at the moment. I was getting so many high resolution photos emailed to me a day that I've now used up most of my broadband data cap for the month! I've turned off the photos so I have enough left for normal use, then I'll try to maybe just turn one type of motion detection on and see if I can get that fixed first.

I was also getting too many false motion alerts from even just insects flying in front of camera. I ended up using AI to filter the motion alerts and setup a free service for anyone else to do the same at Smart Alerts. Hope this helps.

Looking forward to hearing more feedback on this. One of my clients tells me changes in light (like a cloud passing the sun) triggers alerts.

Back