01304 827609 info@use-ip.co.uk Find us

Bitrate ? related to grainy zoom image

OrdinaryJoe

Hi folks, some questions about night performance - have been running DS-2CD2343G0-I and also more recently a new DS-2CD2347G2-LU.

I've had a few unwelcome visitors checking car doors in my driveway but when I zoom in the images are very pixelated on bot IR and Colorvu. I do have a large wall in the image that I cannot do anything about (so may be causing reflection with the IR on the 2343?)...anyway, I set the bitrate on each image to maximum on dropdown menu (when logged in via each individual camera) but when I go back in it has defaulted to 3072Kbps (is that an issue)? on both the 2343(below) and 2347. This setting is greyed out if I try to edit via the overall NVR settings on the web (its not greyed out if I access each indivdual camera online). It can be changed on the NVR setting if I switch off 265+. Would this make a difference to image quality?

I'm also trying to lower the gain setting to <80 to see if that has an effect? Is there any other specific setting which causes noise/pixelated images when zooming in?
2343.jpg

Or is this all to do with the cameras being 4MP or more of a camera set up?? I was zooming in on a person about 10m away.

Last edited:
If you are zooming in to greater than 100% of the native resolution then you will always get pixellation. What device are you zooming in on and what is the resolution and bitrate set for that stream?

If you are zooming in to greater than 100% of the native resolution then you will always get pixellation. What device are you zooming in on and what is the resolution and bitrate set for that stream?
Thanks. Laptop using browser using main stream settings (max resolution). Daytime seems fine but nighttime playback zoom is worse quality. Just wondered if it was a settings issue/bitrate.

Maybe you could post some images? Obviously there will be far less detail in a night shot - even a well-lit night shot - than a day shot. All night shots include a lot more noise and artifacts than day shots which makes night shots look grainier. And if you have DNR active for night shots, you could be seeing its blurring effects as it averages out the noise artifacts.

I have both ColorVU models, DS-2CD2347G1-LU & DS-2CD2347G2-LU. I do not have grainy pictures when zooming in. My settings;

1609256228131.png

Under Image settings, I also have exposure set at 1/50 and all Backlight settings as OFF. I have good supplemental lighting also which helps with night time images.

RE: the bitrate defaulting back to 3072. Set the bitrate for each camera using the NVR web pages. The NVR will push these settings to the camera. That said, I have seen cameras default back to a lower bitrate, which is a real issue for some that default to 2048. If you cannot get the NVR to keep the cameras at your desired resolution log a support call with the reseller.

You will notice an improvement in image quality if you increase the max bitrate beyond what you think is appropriate. Experimentation is the only way to gauge what your optimal bitrate is. In my opinion, you want to know that when most of the pixels are changing e.g. a rainy evening that the max bit rate is high enough to reduce artifacting to a minimum. This will increase network / disk IO 24 x 7 but it will ensure you have usable footage.

Back